So without further ado, I present my first pattern, a fitted strapless top for Pullip dolls.
You will need:
- Size 1 US needles. I suggest using a circular needle or two DPN's with point protectors.
- 2 small snaps or hook-and-eye closures.
- Size 10 crochet cotton. You will very likely need less than a tenth of a 50g ball. You could also use lace-weight wool yarn.
- Used for example: Aunt Lydia's Classic crochet cotton in Purple.
- Needle and sewing thread in a color matching that of the crochet thread.
- Scissors & ruler
You will need to know:
- Stockinette stitch
- Cast on & bind off
- 1x1 ribbing (K1, P1 ribbing)
- Make one, abbreviated m1
- Slip-slip-knit, abbreviated ssk
- Knit 2 together, abbreviated k2tog
Note: slip the first stitch of every row purlwise (pwise) for a neater edge.
CO 45 sts with size 1 needles. Work 3 rows in 1x1 ribbing.
Setup row: p11, pm, p22, pm, p12. You are now ready to begin decreases.
Shape for ribcage:
Decrease row 1: k to 2 sts before marker, ssk, slip marker, k all sts between markers, slip marker, k2tog, k to end.
Next row: p all sts.
Decrease row 2: k to marker, slip marker, ssk, k to 2 sts before marker, k2tog, slip marker, k to end.
Next row: p all sts.
Work as above, decreasing 2 stitches every other row, until you have 31 sts on the needles (this will be after a decrease row 1). P the next row as set.
Shape for waist:
K 1 row, p 1 row.
Shape for hips:
Inc row: *k to 1 st before marker, m1, k1, slip marker, k1, m1, repeat from * to end.
Next row: P all sts.
Repeat last 2 rows twice more. You will end with 43 sts.
Work 3 rows in 1x1 rib. BO all sts.
Block (wet method or pin-and-spritz) to keep flat. DO NOT OVERSTRETCH the top when you block it, or it will not fit Pullip properly! Sew snaps to the back of the top; I sewed mine at the top and about halfway down so that the bottom edge of the top can "open" to accommodate the top of pants or a skirt.
Note: for a dress, you could keep going instead of working the ribbing at the bottom until you have 55 or 59 sts. Then knit straight for the length desired.